Idiots

I'm going to be extraordinarily lazy today by borrowing from someone else's blog. It's so hot in my neck of the woods that I am about to self-combust and words don't come easy in such a state.

I follow a great, wise and prolific writer's blog.  You can follow Joe Konrath at jackonrath.blogspot.com.au

He was discussing how easy it has become to be a lounge-chair critic in this day and age of instant online postings. I was particularly amused by his take on what might define an 'idiot' when it comes to critiquing books........

'Here are some signs you might be an idiot.

If you've ever called someone a name without any provocation, you're probably an idiot.

If you think the world really cares about how much you hate something, you're probably an idiot.

If you've ever given a one-star review to anything, you're probably an idiot.

If you've ever posted anonymously, you're probably an idiot.

If you've ever casually dismissed something that others find value in, you're definitely an idiot.

If you talk before you think, you're definitely an idiot.

If you have a closed mind, you're definitely an idiot.

If this blog post makes you angry, you're definitely an idiot.'



Now you might say, "Joe, but I've done one or more of these things. Does that mean I'm an idiot?"

Possibly not. True idiots usually aren't aware that they're idiots. But if you're doing a lot of the above, you aren't doing yourself any favors.


Nicely put, Joe.

I'm sitting in my knickers in front of a fan, sipping mineral water, praying for a storm and I thank-you for sharing your thoughts, that I in turn, have 'paid forward.'

Cheers.
Nik  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Follow me by Email